Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project

• lewys
  • Topic Author
  • True WM Regular
  • True WM Regular
More
5 years 8 months ago #178131 by lewys
Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project was created by lewys
So I have gone from turbo ..... to vtec ...... to a proper beast!

THIS!

And here she is just squeezed in to the garage .......

Right, so, I never thought I would say this ....... but I have bought a Citroen Saxo!

The reason I have bought it, is because I am selling the Civic soon to have a cheap diesel lease car through work, and I wanted something to convert in to a track car, and we are still saving for a house so it needed to be cheap!

It is a 1.6 VTR with 62800 miles on the clock, and I paid the vast amount of £200 for it!! Reason being it was a DVLA seized vehicle - doesn't matter to me as all I am going to do is rag the tits off it around a track!

Right so plans:

- Strip it out, cage, stiffer suspension, all the usual stuff to make it trackworthy!
- bigger brakes (need to do research but I have been told gti6 brakes)
- maybe LSD

Engine wise:
I want to get a VTS/GTi engine, but for now will stick with the VTR till I blow it, or get money to upgrade it

when I have the VTS lump I want throttle bodies, or to supercharge it, again depending on money and gains (I want managable power so 200bhp tops)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #178150 by chambers_cupra
Replied by chambers_cupra on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project
This should be good! What tracks you thinking of hitting?

Anywhere near 200bhp you be killing the box. 180 iirc is where they start to become scare.

You planning throttle bodies I guess aswell?

[b:gmr24ild][color=#0000FF:gmr24ild]CHAMBERS[/color:gmr24ild][/b:gmr24ild]

• lewys
  • Topic Author
  • True WM Regular
  • True WM Regular
More
5 years 8 months ago #178156 by lewys
Replied by lewys on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project

chambers_cupra wrote: This should be good! What tracks you thinking of hitting?

Anywhere near 200bhp you be killing the box. 180 iirc is where they start to become scare.

You planning throttle bodies I guess aswell?

Yh after looking around I think 170-180bhp is a good figure to aim for! This would be with throttle bodies.

Track-wise anything I can get on really without going over the noise limits. Need to do a bit more research on how strict some tracks are and what tracks allow what.

Managed to get a spare hour the other day and started stripping it out. 1 hour left the car like this ......

Had a look at door card options, decided that carbon fibre ones would cost nearly as much as the car did, so I am just going to get ABS plastic ones made up for the gaps. Also had a thought don't know if anyone could tell me otherwise, but I was thinking of getting rid of the sunroof, and instead of getting a plate to cover the hole (which looks crap) I was thinking of getting a sheet of lexan and cutting it to the shape of my sunroof. Seal it in and all would be dandy? Or am I missing something?

• lewys
  • Topic Author
  • True WM Regular
  • True WM Regular
More
5 years 8 months ago #178215 by lewys

Did a bit more at the weekend. Carpets and more sound deadening out, pass. seat out as well.

I have decided I am going to turn this in to a hill climb car! So plans are virtually the same as before, vts engine with cams and TB's to get around the 170bhp mark. Cage, etc.

Found out I don't need a FIA approved seat or harness so because I am on the slightly larger side I am just going to get a "half sport half bucket" seat (for example the recaros in Evo 8/DC2 Integra) because these will be more comfortable and still quite "huggy" for want of a better word!

Harness I am just going to get a standard 2-inch 4 point harness with a standard buckle which should do the job well enough

Cage is definitely going to be a full cage, it's a saxo so I am not taking any chances!

More
5 years 8 months ago #178216 by chambers_cupra
Replied by chambers_cupra on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project
I'm toying with the idea of getting a Saxo vts or 106 gti (would prefer a pug) as a bit of track fun. Once I've got a new car sorting anyway.

[b:gmr24ild][color=#0000FF:gmr24ild]CHAMBERS[/color:gmr24ild][/b:gmr24ild]

More
5 years 8 months ago #178217 by Chris CW
Replied by Chris CW on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project
This is when a saxo project log is actually worth following :D

• lewys
  • Topic Author
  • True WM Regular
  • True WM Regular
More
5 years 8 months ago #178221 by lewys
Lol cheers chris!

Yh I personally wanted a 106 gti, or old rallye, but when I got this for £200 I was quite happy to be fair!

More
5 years 7 months ago #178225 by sal
Replied by sal on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project
Can't complain for £200! Really want to do this one day! Keep it going! I've got this followed now too! :)

Salim Ahmed (Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1:31wcbwtz]Tapatalk[/url:31wcbwtz])

• lewys
  • Topic Author
  • True WM Regular
  • True WM Regular
More
5 years 7 months ago #178258 by lewys
Few more things purchased ......

Bought an evo 4 recaro for £16! Not looking the best but with a clean up will do for now, and in the future will probably get it re-trimmed (could have it trimmed red and sell it for £300 if you look at the honda recaros ......)

Bought 1 peugeot 207 15" monaco alloy wheel to do a test fit, so will now look at getting the other 3 alloys and get some track tyres on them!

Also got some morettes for £60. Fitted them yesterday and have taken the middle lights out already. Also took the headlight covers off the morettes to get them sprayed up. Then took the bootlid, bonnet, and rear windows out. Bootlid and bonnet are going to be sold, ready for the fibreglass replacements. Rear windows will be cut out of lexan (other windows are going to be done at a later date).

More
5 years 7 months ago #178267 by sal
Replied by sal on topic Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Project
really getting to shape now! nice work.